Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 417 For Sale & or Help.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry 417 For Sale & or Help.

    I have a nice 414 / 917 Ceramic frame with a 417 in it. This 417 has a 414 mesh dust cover on it.
    These frames have the opening, as a heat vent thru the magnet..back -- or bottom side; so to use a 414 type of Dust Cover or Dome...that is..the larger dome that has the screen Mesh..there is a Piece that looks like metal...but turns out to be plastic covering the back or magnets's vent...from the inside; can't have holes..or openings on both sides of the speaker.
    Anyway..in trying to remove this frame from an Avatar cab..the metalic looking plastic plug jars loose; & has some pieces of the plug split off.
    So now I have this awesome cone & frame with a large loose plug that I can not remove from either ends.. and I do not have the skill to remove the large 414 dust dome to remove & or re-glue the plug.
    I also think that the few pieces of glue and / or plastic have lodged in between the VC...so it rubs in a few places. Regular cans of Compressed air do not have the force to blow the particles out.
    So if anyone wants a beautiful Frame..I have one for sale.
    It is 22lbs so shipping will be about $22. I think the frame should be worth $50..I know I paid more than that..If you can fix the speaker ..or even have GP recone it..it may be worth it to you.
    You can have any 12" Altec cone driver installed into this frame.
    I need to cut my losses on this, & I do not want to just throw it away. Jeff
    I may be wrong!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 417 For Sale & or Help.

    Quote Originally Posted by 417 - Alnico View Post
    I have a nice 414 / 917 Ceramic frame with a 417 in it. This 417 has a 414 mesh dust cover on it.
    These frames have the opening, as a heat vent thru the magnet..back -- or bottom side; so to use a 414 type of Dust Cover or Dome...that is..the larger dome that has the screen Mesh..there is a Piece that looks like metal...but turns out to be plastic covering the back or magnets's vent...from the inside; can't have holes..or openings on both sides of the speaker.
    Anyway..in trying to remove this frame from an Avatar cab..the metalic looking plastic plug jars loose; & has some pieces of the plug split off.
    So now I have this awesome cone & frame with a large loose plug that I can not remove from either ends.. and I do not have the skill to remove the large 414 dust dome to remove & or re-glue the plug.
    I also think that the few pieces of glue and / or plastic have lodged in between the VC...so it rubs in a few places. Regular cans of Compressed air do not have the force to blow the particles out.
    So if anyone wants a beautiful Frame..I have one for sale.
    It is 22lbs so shipping will be about $22. I think the frame should be worth $50..I know I paid more than that..If you can fix the speaker ..or even have GP recone it..it may be worth it to you.
    You can have any 12" Altec cone driver installed into this frame.
    I need to cut my losses on this, & I do not want to just throw it away. Jeff
    I can not tell you how pissed off I am.
    If you wish to keep it, wouldn't a speaker repair house be able to clean the gap and remount a plug for you. Perhaps there isn't anyone capable close to you. I guess if GPA was involved the double shipping and repair cost might make it a less than attractive deal. Hope you find a way to keep it.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb Re: 417 For Sale & or Help.

    Quote Originally Posted by westend9 View Post
    If you wish to keep it, wouldn't a speaker repair house be able to clean the gap and remount a plug for you. Perhaps there isn't anyone capable close to you. I guess if GPA was involved the double shipping and repair cost might make it a less than attractive deal. Hope you find a way to keep it.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    I had a place called Morgan Sound in Seattle - Lynnwood recone 2 OEM 417-H cones in a pair of Ceramic 414 frames..they took it upon themselves to reuse the 414 domes.. and it worked out perfectly! I use them with Marshalls..so it takes just enough of that bite off the tone.
    He did tell me that he could remove that plug if I wanted..That did not make sense to me..because you have a hole or vent on both sides of the Voice Coil.
    They are one of the oldest RE-cone Places in the Northwest & are EV & JBL Authorized repair & Retail Stores.
    I am moving back up there. I wanted to sell it before I messed it up & I do not want to spend $70 to get it repaired.
    .
    I may be wrong!

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 417 For Sale & or Help.

    I had Great Planes recone two 417-8H series II a while back. They came out perfect. I will not consider sending them anywhere else to have them done.

    Tony

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.